Tuesday, January 12, 2010

An Interesting Story from Rick Steves' Travel as a Political Act

Rick's friend Honza took him on a walk through Prague, it was a route that he had taken every night for a week in 1989. 100,000 Czech's walked the route each night culminating in front of a grand building. Every night they would take out their keys and jingle them beneath the presidents window and call "it's time for you to go now" One night they came, and he was gone. They had won freedom from their soviet overlords.

I googled "czech jingling keys" and I found out this was called the Velvet Revolution
Sigh... I still feel I have a huge blank stop in my knowledge when it comes to the former USSR and Eastern Europe. Well, that is about to change.

ok this isn't about Croatia but it's near.

No comments:

Post a Comment